We love Virginia, but we have to admit we're not crazy about the sticky summer weather. The average relative humidity on a June morning in Richmond is 83%.
"Bring on the air conditioning," you say. But with electricity prices so high, it doesn't do your wallet any good to keep the A/C running all the time. So, we thought we'd offer 10 tips to help you save energy this summer.
- Keep drapes, blinds and shades closed during the day to block out the sun.
- Install an attic fan - it can cool your attic by nearly 30 degrees!
- Plant shade trees due west of west windows. It could reduce your air conditioning bills by up to 25%!
- Cook on the outdoor grill to keep cooking heat outside the home.
- When cooking inside, use a microwave instead of a conventional oven. It uses less than half the power and cooks food in about one-fourth the time.
- Install reflective window coatings to reflect heat away from your home.
- Use insulation, weather stripping and caulking to help seal and protect your home against the summer heat.
- Open windows on cool summer days and nights. A good rule of thumb is not to open windows when the outside temperature is warmer than the inside of your house.
- Use ceiling fans to cool your home. They're much cheaper to operate than air conditioners, and moving air feels cooler, so you can keep your thermostat setting higher.
- Close unused rooms and their vents.
And when you do use your air conditioner ...
- Clear furniture away from the air conditioning vents.
- Change or clean your air conditioning filter monthly during the cooling season to improve efficiency and maximize the life of your air conditioner.
- Turn the air conditioner thermostat up to at least 78 degrees or higher, or use a programmable thermostat.
- Shut air conditioners off when no one is home.
By the way, if you find that your central air conditioner is not quite as cool as you thought it would be, it's time to call Woodfin at (804) 730-5000 or contact us. For central air conditioning installation and air conditioning repair in Richmond, Virginia, Woodfin is the proven leader. Our highly trained technicians are experts when it comes to your cool comfort this summer.
By Kelly Williams