October 25, 2013

During this year’s heating and holiday season, you’ll want to relax knowing your whole family is safe. Having the proper amount of functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors can take one concern off your list.

Cooking for Thanksgiving Dinner, using your fireplace on a cold night, and decorating your house with Christmas lights all increase the risk of a home fire. A functioning smoke detector could alert you of a fire and allow your family to get out of your house before anyone is harmed. The average smoke detector, however, only has a reliable life span of seven years! Make sure to replace any smoke detectors in your home if they are more than 10 years past the manufacturing date that is stamped on the unit.

Making sure you have a sufficient number of smoke detectors will also ensure your safety during the heating season. Older recommendations indicate that each floor in your home should have one smoke detector. This is not enough! Your house should have one detector per bedroom, one in every hallway, and one on each floor of living space.

Any appliance in your home that burns fuel may emit carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, making it undetectable without a detector. Carbon monoxide leaks from heating oil systems are very rare but it is better to be safe than sorry. You should have at least one carbon monoxide detector in a central location for each sleeping area. Check out the carbon monoxide detector section of our website for more safety tips and to learn about Woodfin’s Central Monitoring System.

Contact us now to schedule a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector consultation.

By Kelly Williams 
Google +