When was the last time you cleaned out your dryer vent? In reality, many people forget about cleaning the dryer vents – out of sight, out of mind, right? Well, it’s important to clean and maintain these vents on a regular basis! Lint and other debris can build up in the dryer vents and reduce airflow to the dryer, back up dryer exhaust gases and create a fire hazard in your home. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 15,000 fires are sparked every year by clothes dryers!
Signs You Need to Have Your Dryer Vents Cleaned
One indication of dirty dryer vents is that your dryer stops drying your clothes in one cycle. If the heat and moisture can’t escape through the vent, then the dryer works harder to dry the clothes – creating additional wear and tear and potentially starting up a dryer vent fire. Other signs include:
- The time it takes to dry your clothes has increased, exceeding 40 minutes
- The clothes have a musty odor following a complete drying cycle
- The clothes are unusually hot upon removing them from the drum
- Dryer vent hood flap doesn’t properly open
- Debris is noticed within the outside of the dryer vent opening
- Excessive heat in the room while the dryer is operating
- Large amounts of lint accumulate in the lint trap during operation
- Excessive odor from dryer sheets
Aside from being a fire risk, and inefficiently drying your clothes (or not drying them at all) there are other benefits of cleaning the dryer vent regularly! Those include:
- A reduction in energy bills, as dryers with excess lint can use up to 30% more energy
- An increase in lifespan of the dryer, as the dryer doesn’t run as long or work as hard
- Prevents animals from nesting in the vents, if the vent lid doesn’t close properly pests can enter through it when seeking warmth during the winter
Your Home Team at Woodfin cares about your safety and the health of your appliances! Just like the ductwork of your home comfort system, the cleaner the better for everyone in your home. Contact us to learn more and to schedule your next vent or duct cleaning!