You probably don't want to think about it, but the cold weather will be here in a matter of weeks. You might be gearing up for this eventuality by putting away the flip-flops or purchasing a new winter coat. But have you thought about testing your heating system before the heating season begins?
Testing your heating system to make sure it's working the way it should is easy ... and it only takes a few minutes - so why not try it now! After all, the middle of winter is no time to discover you have an old clunker on your hands!
Simply follow these steps to make sure your unit is working properly:
- Check that the thermostat switch is in the "heat/on" position and turn up the thermostat at least 10 degrees higher than the actual room temperature.
- Next, listen carefully. Within a few minutes you should hear your heating equipment hum into action.
- If the equipment doesn't start up, press the reset button on your burner's relay. Press it just once.
If your system still doesn't start, consider these points before calling us for what might be an unnecessary service call:
- Are the emergency switches on? (There may be two: one at the stairs and one at the unit.)
- Did the fuse or circuit breaker for your equipment trip?
- Is the thermostat set properly?
If your unit still won't start, call Woodfin at (804) 730-5000 or contact us. We'll have it working right away!
If you don't think your heating equipment will make it through the winter, consider an upgrade. Call or contact us - we can set up a free, no-obligation heating system consultation in your home. You just might be surprised about how much energy and money you could save with a new, super-efficient boiler, furnace or heat pump!
Winter is coming - don't let your heating system fail when you need it most. Be proactive and test it now!