Our electrical systems are typically out of sight and out of mind – tucked away inside the walls and ceilings of our Richmond homes. Just because the wires are hidden away, however, doesn’t mean problem indicators will be hidden as well.

Here are a few things to keep an eye out for that might suggest your electrical system needs work!

Too many extension cords

Not only do extension cords pose tripping hazards, using too many throughout the home is unsafe. If you find yourself always running out of outlets to use, have a Woodfin Electrician help by installing new ones!

Dimming lights

Light fixtures draw very little power, so dimming or flickering is rarely an issue with the fixture itself and more likely a problem with the circuit as a whole. There may be too many major appliances drawing power on the same circuit. If this is the case, a Woodfin Electrician can help balance the loads in your home!

Strange Odors

If you notice any odd smells coming from outlets, switches or appliances, turn off the power and unplug anything connected to it. It’s especially important if you smell burning plastic! Contact Your Home Team so our Electricians can come have a look.

Hot Outlet or Switch Plates

Outlets and switches should never feel hot to the point where it’s uncomfortable to touch. This could be a sign that the outlet or switch is malfunctioning because the integrity of the connections is weak. This could lead to a house fire if left unresolved.

Frequently Tripped Breakers or Blown Fuses

Circuit breakers and fuses are supposed to trip or blow out when there’s a problem with current overload or a short circuit in order to protect the homeowner. However, if they trip constantly you could be dealing with a faulty breaker or fuse, or some other issue along the electrical system that could cause damage to your home or appliances.

Have you noticed any of these signs in your home? Don’t take the chance! All you have to do is contact Your Home Team at Woodfin for assistance. Contact us online today to start taking care of your home electrical system!