WHAT IS HEATING OIL?
We think that heating oil is the best fuel for Richmond, Virginia homeowners because it has so much going for it!
HEATING OIL IS SAFE.
- Heating oil does not explode, and it doesn't even burn in a liquid state. In order to ignite, heating oil must be heated to 140°F - the temperature at which it begins to vaporize.
- With home heating oil systems, carbon monoxide leaks rarely happen without warning, unlike gas heat systems. Read more about heating oil safety.
HEATING OIL IS "GREEN."
- It burns cleanly. Today's heating oil burns 95 percent cleaner than in 1970. Low-sulfur products and biofuels, such as those made from soybeans, will further reduce the already near-zero emissions. Read more about Bioheat® and biofuels.
- Residential heating oil equipment creates such a negligible amount of emissions that heating oil is not even regulated by the Federal Clean Air Act.
HEATING OIL IS DEPENDABLE.
- With heating oil, you benefit from having your fuel source safely stored in a tank on your property, with no need to worry about the weather or disruptions in the fuel supply.
- Even during the coldest winter months, there's more than enough heating oil for everyone, thanks to our country's 727-million-barrel Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
- There are over 100 oil producing countries, and the U.S. is not dependent on any one country or region for its supply.*
- Heating oil can be blended with domestically produced, renewable biodiesel to produce Bioheat®. Bioheat® and biofuels are the future of home heating oil! * U.S. Energy Information Administration
HEATING OIL IS ECONOMICAL
- On a BTU-for-BTU basis, heating oil (including biofuel) has cost less than utility gas in our area for the majority of the past 20 years.
- Woodfin offers full service benefits that add value to every gallon of heating oil we deliver.
HEATING OIL IS EFFICIENT.
- Of all heating fuels, heating oil has the hottest flame, for satisfying warmth, and rapid space and hot water heating.
- Thanks to major advancements being made in heating oil burner technology, some heating oil systems now boast efficiency ratings of over 95 percent!
- Modern heating oil equipment actually burns less fuel. The average annual fuel consumption in 1973 was 1,294 gallons; and now it is only 833 gallons. That's 35 percent less fuel.